Convict Mukesh moves SC challenging rejection of mercy plea by President

New Delhi: One of the death row convicts in the 2012 Nirbhaya murder and gang rape case, Mukesh Kumar Singh has moved the Supreme Court challenging the rejection of mercy petition by President Ram Nath Kovind, said his lawyer Vrinda Grover on Saturday.

“A petition has been filed under Article 32 for judicial review of the manner of rejection of the mercy petition in terms of the judgement of Supreme Court in Shatrughan Chauhan case,” Grover, quoted by news agency PTI, said. 

President Ram Nath Kovind had rejected the mercy petition of convict Mukesh in the Nirbhaya rape-murder case on January 17. After the mercy petition was rejected, a Delhi court issued a fresh death warrant against the four death-row convicts in the December 2012 gang-rape and murder case, for their execution at 6 am on February 1. 

This comes  hours after the public prosecutor, appearing for the Tihar jail authorities, claimed that the convicts are only adopting ‘delaying tactics’.

The prosecutor told Delhi’s Patiala House Court that the Tihar jail authorities have provided all the relevant documents sought by the convicts’ lawyer. “The entire process is to defeat the law. We have already supplied all the documents. We procured all the documents from all the jails where they went,” he said.

However, advocate AP Singh, appearing for the convicts, alleged that another convict Vinay was being slow poisoned and was hospitalised, but his medical reports were not being supplied to him.

“They (Tihar jail authorities) say there is no such record. Vinay was being slow poisoned. That’s why he was sent to hospital. Vinay made several paintings and we want to inform the President about it. Also, what he earned from those paintings needs to be informed,” he said while alleging tha Vinay’s head was “split open” in Mandoli jail but those documents were not supplied to the counsel too.

The 23-year-old paramedic student, referred to as Nirbhaya, was gang-raped and brutally assaulted on the intervening night of December 16-17, 2012, in a moving bus in south Delhi by six people before she was thrown out on the road. She was flown to a hospital in Singapore where she died.

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *